5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation
Main | Grant Recipients | Axios Awards | Fund Raising | News
Take Our Cancer Foundation Survey
Fund raising and grant awarding to scientists and research medical institutions whose primary goal is to find a cure for cancer
Please join the 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation and be a part of the effort to stamp out cancer
The Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation, Inc. is tax-exempt under Sec. 501 ( c ) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions are deductible under Sec. 170 (a) (2)
The Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation was formed in October 1988, by the Fifth District Order of AHEPA to raise funds from its members and the general public for research grants. Shortly after, the Fifth District Daughters of Penelope came on board uniting the AHEPA Family behind a common cause of philanthropic support of cancer research.
The Foundation volunteers began their fundraising efforts in March of 1989. Armed with collection canisters thus inaugurated the humble beginnings of collecting donations to provide funding for cancer research.
Through the efforts of the "all volunteer" Board of Trustees, the Foundation presented its first grant award in the Fall of 1990 to Fox Chase Cancer Center in the amount of $5,000.
With the generosity and support of individuals and the expansion of several new fundraising events, the Foundation has significantly increased its financial support one hundred fold. As of 2012 the Foundation has been honored and privileged to award approximately $800,000 to the men and women who diligently work towards a cure for cancer.
No one receives a salary or any compensation and administrative costs are kept to a minimum.
Why does the Fifth District have its own Cancer Foundation?
To make a difference and contribute to finding a cure for Cancer.
Many of the past and present Board of Trustee members are cancer survivors themselves. As well, just like you many of them have lost family and friends to Cancer.
One of the functions of the Foundation is expediting medical appointments at the Institutions that the Foundation has contributed to.
The Foundation Chairman had to make 6 of these calls this past year. Sadly, it was an increase from the previous year.
All requests from individuals are kept confidential, the Chairman is the only person who knows the name of the individuals making the request.
The institutions, take great pride in assisting the Foundation's request of patient care. Should you need assistance please contact the current Chairman of the 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation, Inc.
Why do I serve on the 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation
(as presented by Antoinette Marousis-Zachariades, PDG, Foundation Secretary)
- To make a difference and contribute to finding a cure for Cancer.
- I have five family members who are cancer survivors.
- I have lost four relatives to cancer.
- I have three family members who have to be monitored the rest of their lives for cancer because the potential is there to escalate into cancer.
- I have lost two parish priests to cancer.
- I have one relative currently being treated for cancer.
- And I have lost too many co-workers, family friends and acquaintances to cancer.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Robert Wood Johnson
- Hackensack University Medical Center
- Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Montclair State University
- New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Children's Blood Foundation (Memorial Sloan Kettering)
- Christianna Care Health Services
- Coriell Institute for Medical Research
- University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
- Rutgers University
- St. Luke's & Roosevelt Hospital Center of Columbia University
[ More ... ]
Save the Date
The Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation, Inc. 24th Annual Fall Gala
Please Join Us As We Honor the Foundation’s 2013 Grant Recipients
Saturday, November 2, 2013
An Evening of Dinner and Dancing at the Pines Manor (Edison, NJ)
Cocktail hour begins at 6:30 pm, Followed By Dinner
Music by Alpha
Donation: $85.00 (Cash Bar)
2012 AHEPA Fifth District Cancer Research Foundation Gala Cancelled
As we know by now Hurricane Sandy has left a devastating impact not only upon New Jersey but on the entire east coast, including New York City, areas north of New York and Philadelphia and its surrounding areas. After processing all information available to us, we have no alternative but to CANCEL the upcoming AHEPA Fifth District Cancer Research Foundation Gala scheduled for this Saturday at the Pines Manor, in Edison, New Jersey.
In making this extraordinary decision, the Cancer Foundation board, by unanimous consent, is compelled to take into account the safety of its patrons, researchers and attendees to the Gala. The factors used include:
1) Widespread damage throughout the eastern seaboard of our AHEPA domain. Many members have experienced flooding at their homes and transportation has grinded to a halt.
2) Many whom have not been affected have family and other loved ones who require assistance into the untold short term future.
3) As of the time of this press release, power outages have crippled many communities, further endangering the safety of those affected.
4) Airport travel is at a standstill with many dignitaries and researchers unable to attend at this time.
5) The Pines Manor as of this time still does not have power. It is unknown whether the facility itself will be able to host our annual Gala this Saturday.
The Fifth District Cancer Research Foundation intends on hosting the Gala in the short term future and asks that each AHEPAN consider attending this important event when it it rescheduled. A press release will be issued as soon as we can find a date suitable to the Pines Manor. The Gala, one of the most significant AHEPA events in the United States, supports one of the noblest causes throughout the entire AHEPA domain.
Again we apologize for the inconvenience, are hopeful you will consider attending the Gala on the rescheduled date as we strive to maintain the safety of all involved while promoting our mission to promote research that will one day eradicate this horrible disease.
THE AHEPA FIFTH DISTRICT CANCER RESEARCH FOUNDATION BOARD
2012 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation Gala
On Saturday November 3rd, at the Pines Manor, the 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation will hold its Annual Gala.
Click here for details and information
"One Force" Dedicated to Making a Difference
Although they don’t work in a laboratory or conduct clinical trials, Fifth District members of the American Hellenic Education Progressive Association (AHEPA) and the Daughters of Penelope have contributed greatly to advance cancer research at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey [ More ... ]
Over the past 25 years, thru everyone's generosity, we have given in excess of $750,000 in research grants to various institutions.
A sampling of the cancer institutions that the Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation has supported over the years:
- Cancer Institute of New Jersey (one of the nation's 41 National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers and the only one in New Jersey)
- Saint Lukes Roosevelt Hospital Center
- Weill Medical Collage of Cornell University
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (now part of Temple University).
About the 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation
The 5th District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation (The Foundation) is a non profit 501(c)3 all volunteer organization, dedicated to supporting the fight against cancer.
It's Board of Directors and the many volunteers who labor on this project work without any compensation and are proud members of the Order of AHEPA, the Daughters of Penelope, the Sons of Pericles and the Maids of Athena.
The Foundation was founded in 1988 and its mission is to raise funds for the award of grants to scientists, researchers and medical institutions whose primary goal is to find a cure for cancer.
Since its inception in 1988, The Foundation has awarded grants for cancer research in excess of $750,000.00. This money has been raised with the participation of AHEPA Family members in the annual Gala Banquet - Dance, Collection Canisters at restaurants, churches and other locations, Bowling for Cancer, Silent Auction activities and through the contributions of our Benefactors. Please become one!
Make your contribution to defeat cancer today and mail it to:
Fifth District AHEPA Cancer Research Foundation, Inc.
Edison NJ, 08817
You can help in many ways.
You may volunteer to work with us for this great cause or you can make a financial contribution. Either way you will be very welcomed among us. And remember: 99.9 % of the money collected is awarded as research grants to fight cancer.